So this summer I got to meet my gorgeous new niece. And about three days before we left for Canada, I decided that I NEEDED to make her something. I mean, look at her – who wouldn’t want to make her something?
Bunting is a very British thing, although it seems to be coming more popular around the world these days. I thought it was a great idea for a good, quick project.
Unfortunately, I didn’t take photos along the way – I wasn’t blogging at the time. But here’s what I did anyway:
I started by cutting the triangles out in two contrasting fabrics – I still love the flower pattern one, glad I bought a lot, but not so sure about how I like the checked one in the end. I drew a pattern on paper and used my rotary cutter to cut the triangles out. Then I sewed the triangles together and righted and ironed them. After that, I hand-stitched on the letters, which I had cut out. That was a bit of a mistake – should have stitched the letters on before sewing them together. It was a real pain!
Finally I ironed the ribbon in half lengthwise – bad move, should have used bias tape, as it was a tricky task! Then I tacked the flags on, sewed the length, and voila! Easy peasy bunting.
*each flag ended up being about 20 x 15 cm, and I left about 7 cm between. I left about 40cm of ribbon on each end to give freedom in hanging.