So part of the reason I decided to start blogging about my creating is that it might (hopefully) make me take more time to make things. I love doing it, but so often just don’t find the time. Case in point – my advent calendar.
I’ve been working on this advent calendar for three years now. Realistically, that means that every october or November, I get it out, try frantically to work on it for a few weeks, then give up when I realise it’s not going to be done by December 1. Not this year! Finally, I can say it’s nearly done. I’ve been working hard at it, so now all I have to do is hang the pieces somehow.
The calendar is made of 24 separate pockets, each of which I have hand-stitched PAINSTAKINGLY! Although there are four of each character, each one is somehow unique to the others (and I don’t just mean the number). I am envisioning hanging them along the ribbon that I’ve used at the top of them, but am open to other suggestions, because I’m not 100% sold on that.
The first of the pockets are snowmen, made of white felt, with felt eyes and mouth and a stitched nose, because I couldn’t find an orange felt that I liked. They were nice and easy to make different from each other, because I just had to change the mouths and noses. I thought of adding a top hat, but it just seemed a but much. These were the reason that I ended up stitching the numbers in red – otherwise they would have been invisible.
Next are the Christmas Puddings – very British! I love the way these turned out, because of the holly leaves and berries. They were a bit tricky to sew, simply because of the thickness of the four or five layers of felt. But don’t they look great? It’s funny – I would have never dreamed that was what a Christmas pudding cartoon would look like, but in the end, they’re nice and Christmas-y regardless.
After that are the Penguins – I couldn’t believe how cute they turned out to be. I wasn’t sure about them in the beginning, but now they’re my favourite. They have, however, highlighted the importance of using a fabric pen.I used a purple pen to mark them out, and now around the edge of the white, there is purpling on one of them. Annoying, but not so bad that I can be bothered to redo it – yet.
The snowflakes are the last shape that I decided on, and the last that I sewed. These were the easiest to cut out, because instead of making and using templates like the other shapes, I went old-school! I cut out a circle, folded it and cut a snowflake, like we all did when we were kids. In the process of trying to make them really different one to another, there is only one of these snowflakes that I really like. But I’ll never tell!
The robins were the first shape that I came up with, and I still think they’re pretty darn cute! My original idea was just to have robins, but that would have been too much of one thing! The eyes ended up going a bit crazy, and the wings should have all been out, but I still think they’re great!
Finally, the poinsettias…
I love a poinsettia at Christmas, and thought it would look nice against a green background (like leaves). I almost did them all red, but like the difference the white gives. They were a bit tricky to sew again, with the thickness, but I managed in the end!
Anyways, almost done! If anyone wants templates or more details on how I made them, leave a comment – I’m happy to share or do another blog on how I made them. I would have taken more pictures along the way, but wasn’t blogging at the time. Please also share any brilliant ideas on how to hang these effectively. I’m just not sure!
And I’ll put up another picture when it’s all done and beautiful and full of delicious chocolate!