flapping bird

Morning! Just a quick post to share with you today!

Back in 2012, when I moved into my last classroom, the teacher’s cupboard was FULL! I was told that I couldn’t get rid of much of the stuff, but by Easter, decided I needed to go through it. I spent 2 whole days of my holiday there, going through the cupboard from top to bottom. And you would NOT BELIEVE the junk I found! I was throwing out stuff dating back to the 1990’s. Turns out that both of the teachers in the room before me were a bit hoarder-ish. I am too, but with MY stuff, not other people’s!


Anyways, I tell you all of this because of one thing that I found, which was destined for the garbage. This flappy bird:



He didn’t look very good, was faded and missing an eye, and had been badly painted in places. I asked what I should do with him, and was told to thrown him out, so instead, I took him home to give him a new lease on life.This is what he looks like now:


Not amazing, granted – I’m NOT an artist. But he’s bright, colourful and will being cheer to any classroom decor. I’m not sure if I ever shared it with you all, but a couple of years ago, I made a vine curtain to give my reading corner some personality. I took a cheap, mesh curtain (courtesy of Ikea) and painstakingly attached some vines to it. The bird is perfect to go along with it!


So there you go – a flappy bird for my rainforest corner. Next time I have a classroom, I feel like I should build on the theme. What else could I add (for REALLY cheap)?





You may remember that simple little sign from my last post. I confess, when I bought it, I had no idea what I could do with it. I found it on sale at the end of the Christmas season last year. It was just white, wooden letters. The ideas just kind of evolved as I looked at it and thought about it more. You see, I love Christmas and love French, so it was a great match – just a little boring!

I finally decided what to do with it when I realised that every time I saw the letters I started singing the Christmas carol ‘The First Noel…’ So i decided a music theme was perfect.

I found this great looking off white music decoupage paper on ebay and ordered it straight away.  Big problem, though…  It came and it was crisp, snowy white. Not off-white or beige, like the photo led me to believe. The white just wasn’t going to work, so the first order was changing the colour of the paper. I used the primary school soak-it-in-tea trick. My test patch looked great, so I dipped the whole paper in and left it hanging to dry overnight. Amazing what a little tea will do!

Prep 1
While I was waiting for the paper to dry, I decided that I only wanted the music notes on the front, so I needed to do something else with the sides. The white just wasn’t going to go. In my oldie paint supplies, I found a gloopy, hard tube of a very nice dark gold colour. In hind-sight, I probably should have just bought another one, but four coats later, they look alright.
When the paper was completely dry, I tore it into little pieces and began mod-podging them onto the letters, making sure to cover them completely and have some overlap.

Prep 2My husband then trimmed the excess paper (something about me and sharp knives…), and I sanded the edges to get them nice and smooth. One final coat of mod-podge, and voilà! Huge improvement, I think!

DSC_4875I still may end up adding a few extra layers of mod-podge so that I can then sand them smooth, but for now, they can be enjoyed.  When I’m allowed to put christmas decorations up, that is!